DANIEL CHAVEZ MORAN LITERATURE AWARD
If you are a minor (under the age of 18 or the age of consent in your state), please ensure that you have your parents or legal guardians read through these terms and conditions carefully. They will then be asked to sign an agreement stating that they understand and agree to these terms.
This Contest is hosted in the United States, and entry information is collected on computers in the United States. This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Texas for any disputes arising out of this Contest. If you do not agree with this provision and these Official Rules, please do not enter this Contest.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Daniel Chavez Moran Literature Award contest promotion will operate (“Contest”).
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to the Daniel Chavez Moran Award, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest.
The Daniel Chavez Moran Literature Award Contest is to recognize youths with innovative solutions to challenging problems facing Latin America.
The object of this Contest is to recognize the best Solution(s). For purposes of this Contest, “Solution” means a piece of literature that best communicates the problems and solutions facing the poor in Latin America.
Entrants will be asked to submit a piece of literature. For purposes of this contest, each “piece of literature” you create will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on November 15, 2013, and ends at 5:00 p.m. PT on January 31, 2014 (“Entry Period”).
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a resident of the United States; and
- You are between the ages of 12 and 18; and
- You ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
- You are NOT an employee of Grupo Vidanta or an employee of a Grupo Vidanta subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Grupo Vidanta employee, an employee of a Grupo Vidanta subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content requirements:
- The literature written addresses the issue of poverty in Latin America.
- All entries must be in either English or Spanish.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law.
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW DO I ENTER?
In order to participate in this Contest, you must:
- Download the Official Entry form by clicking here
- Complete the Official Entry Form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will only accept one (1) entry per person.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners of the Contest Prizes described below based upon judging criteria described below.
33.3% - How creative the use and form of literature was in communicating the message.
33.3% - How specific the literature was in addressing the issue of poverty.
33.3% - Subjective measure of how appealing the literature was in its entirety.
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners (or no winners) than described above. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Three (3) Prize(s). Winning Package includes:
- Monetary award:
First Place: $1,000
Second Place: $500
Third Place to Fifth Place: $100
- Winners may be featured in promotional and marketing activities, such as press releases and web content, as well as possible media interviews.
- First Prize and Second Prize Winners will receive a Certificate of Award.
We will only award one (1) prize per person.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we will require your parent/legal guardian to sign on your behalf an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification.
If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless the Daniel Chavez Moran Award, Grupo Vidanta and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That the Daniel Chavez Moran Award’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, the Daniel Chavez Moran Award may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Texas for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners online at http://danielchavezmoranaward.com. This list will remain posted two months after winners are announced.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
The Daniel Chavez Moran Award
c/o Grupo Vidanta